Social Distancing Report: Coronacation, Day 1

Girl in purple rain boots and rain coat jumping in a puddle

Jumping in a puddle next to our house

This morning we woke up and found that the little guy slept through the night for the first time. A welcome start to a day mostly stuck indoors.

I had my coffee and stared into my phone and the big kid demanded that I play with her. I decided to finish my breakfast first.

My husband took her on an errand to the bank and to pick up some essentials from Target. There were exactly 9 children’s Tylenol left in the whole store. I talked to my brother who lives near Seattle and put the baby down for a nap. Folded laundry. It was almost like any rainy Saturday, but there was hardly anyone out.

After they got back, we played Chutes and Ladders a bit and my husband and the big kid cleared out our storage area so I could get the little one down for a nap. (If nothing else, I suppose we’re decluttering?)

Then I took the big kid out for a puddle walk- we saw a few people out walking their dogs, though not nearly as many people as usual, and she got to jump in puddles. That probably took 30 minutes, it was fun, and so nice to get out of the house and to get some fresh air!

We had lunch, we made cards for people, we painted. Some Baby Bus was watched. We made a funny looking head with googley eyes. I unloaded the dishwasher to get some “alone time.”

We got Chinese food from Henry’s Hunan (one of the few places that has good Gluten free). There were only 2 people there, though more takeout.

We skipped “whale class” (swimming) and put our membership on hold for 2 weeks. Our daughter was pretty disappointed and didn’t quite understand. We told her that there is a germ that’s spreading around, and that it usually is ok for kids to get it, but that it’s bad for grandmas and grandpas to get it. Everyone staying inside is to keep people from getting the germs. Of course it’s possible we already have/ had novel coronavirus, given it can be asymptomatic or resemble a common cold :-/

My mom was supposed to go on a river cruise in Europe; that is cancelled. Lots of things are getting cancelled. Catholic Mass is also cancelled in Boston, and so is her singing group. She’s used to having a lot to do (like many of us).

So far, we’re holding up okay. I downloaded a book of preschool activities that will hopefully give me some time to read/ exercise/ otherwise maintain my sanity.

It’s hard not to go about our normal routine- zoo or museum on the weekend, visiting friends, etc.

Today was the day I started counting how many minutes are occupied per activity. Marker tower- 1 hour, making tea in the sink- 25 minutes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *